During the Pasteur-Paris University International Doctoral Program offered by the Institute Pasteur, students are part of the Pasteurian community with whom they share their passion for science and wish to contribute to the prevention and treatment of diseases. Students are immersed in an exciting, dynamic and interactive research environment including access to a large variety of core facilities with state-of-the art equipment.
The PPU program has its primary foundations based on scientific research. Students benefit from the highest training in conducting state of the art research by mentorship, active planning and execution, and discussion of results with their Ph.D advisors and other world renowned scientists. A very dense scheduling of lectures and seminars by leading scientists, as well as congresses and workshops, are also part of the exposure to ideas and data that students will benefit on campus.
They can extend their knowledge by attending specialized courses and benefiting from a vast seminar program attracting major speakers from all over the world. At the end of their studies (typically three years), students defend their PhD according to European guidelines.
The PPU program prepares students for an exciting and competitive career in research science, through the development of a research project, the participation to academic courses, and professional development trainings. The requested duration for a PhD in France is three years.
Besides conducting their research in one of the 130 laboratories of the Institut Pasteur where they receive cutting-edge training and interact with experts across many disciplines, several training courses and close follow up of the PhD progression are organized for the students, as workshop on Statistics, Oral Presentation, Ethics and Integrity, Robotics, Journal Clubs, annual 3-day retreat, annual Thesis Advisory Committe, annual one-to-one meeting with the Dean. All these activities require an active participation of the students, who are directly involved in the discussions, or organization. Student care is also a priority for the program. PPU wants the students to be well integrated on the campus and in the French society: French classes are offered to learn French language and culture.
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
The application period starts in mid-September. The deadline for each application cycle is usually in November. The exact dates and deadlines for each application period will be indicated on the current call page when a call is opened.
DisciplinesBiomedicine Microbiology Molecular Sciences
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Master degree or an equivalent university degree in science, medicine or related fields delivered by a university located outside of France, by the time that the students begin the program.
- In France, a master degree corresponds to five years of academic education
- Students holding a B.A. or a B.S. acquired after four years of academic education may be considered if they have additional laboratory experience of at least 6 months, with a written final report or a publication.
- Students who already have begun doctoral training elsewhere and students with a master's degree obtained in France are not eligible, due to our agreements with the doctoral schools of the Paris Universities.
Living costs for Paris
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
The program offers:
- Assistance in housing. Upon arrival in France, PPU students may rent a place at the Cité Universitaire for 6 months. Assistance with VISA.
- 750 Euros year/student to cover expenses for international conferences or summer courses.
-The reimbursement of one round-trip ticket per year for the country of origin.
- A “Tutor” is assigned to each student. The tutors are scientists working on the campus in a different department with respect to the student-hosting laboratory.
- A monthly salary of 1.800 Euro comprehensive of social benefits (national health care, health insurance, etc)
- A “welcome bonus” of 4.000 Euro gross which will be paid at once with their first salary
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.