At Anglia Ruskin University, our theatre, drama and performance research focuses on twentieth-century, contemporary and experimental performance, interrogating both theatre-making processes and performance outcomes. Theatre and Performance covers a broad spectrum of performance forms, including text-based theatre work; interdisciplinary and collaborative performance, involving such aspects as digital media, interculturalism, medicine, dance, physicality and music; devising and directing strategies; critical theory; and live art practice.
The interdisciplinary nature of our research creates a rich and stimulating environment for staff and students. You’ll benefit from a variety of research-oriented events, including our Faculty and Departmental research seminar series, performance events and international conferences.
We also enjoy links with the wider community, including local arts venues like The Junction, the Cambridge Arts Picturehouse and Kettle's Yard; the University of Cambridge's Centre for Research into Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities (CRASSH); and various NHS health providers.
- We’ll provide you with many opportunities for career development and training, in areas like writing up a paper for publication; placing an academic article; giving a conference paper; the doctoral writing style; updates on research methods and literature searches; internet training; editing skills for doctoral research; subsequent monograph publication; and dealing with festivals, agents, and publishers.
- You might also be able to take on teaching responsibilities in the department, or organise research events like seminars and conferences.
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesArt History Liberal Arts Theatre & Dance View 28 other PhDs in Liberal Arts in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- MPhil: Candidates must hold a BA or equivalent in a related subject area.
- PhD: Candidates should normally hold an MA or equivalent in a related subject area.
- Please note we consider most candidates for PhD with progression from MPhil. If you want to apply for direct entry to the PhD route, you’ll also need to provide academic justification for this with your application.
International13500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13500 GBP per year during 12 months.
EU/EEA4407 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4407 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Cambridge
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.