Objectives of the Programme
- to provide advanced knowledge on current political and social science theories;
- to complement the analytical and theoretical abilities through philosophical courses;
- to support the students develop into highly qualified lecturers, scientists and specialists in order to assure the sustainable development of the field.
- has achieved the highest state level of competence in the academic sciences and analytical skills and has also acquired a broad knowledge base through extensive reading;
- has developed into a creative scientist possessing an innovative attitude;
- is qualified as an independent researcher and able to effectively participate in Estonian and international research networks;
- has acquired the scientific competences necessary to apply for project funding and to organize groups;
- is competent to teach and support the learning process for students;
- can introduce specific knowledge related to Political Science within the larger context of society; can participate in discussions across the spectrum of society and influence the social decision process.
Why Study Government and Politics at Tallinn University?
- the research area in the School of Governance, Law and Society is internationally evaluated and nationally accredited;
- the lecturers are leading specialists in Estonia and include eight professors: R. Ruutsoo, G. Sootla, A. Toots, R. Vetik, L. Kalev, M. Aaltola, E. Terk;
- doctoral seminars in the study of Government and Politics take place at least once a month and provide feedback from professors and fellow doctoral students;
- participation in conferences, seminars, summer schools and studying within the ERASMUS programme in foreign universities is supported in order to gain international experience;
- the School provides as much help as possible in order to get the doctoral students’ written works published in journals such as Acta Politica Estica and in Studies of Transition States and Societies, which is published in collaboration with the Institute of International and Social Studies;
- the School endeavours to accommodate individual expectations and work schedules;
- the doctoral students of Tallinn University are exempt from tuition fees. In addition, it is possible to apply for scholarships from University funding.
What are the Career Options After the Studies?Internationally accredited PhD diploma allows you to work on positions requiring a PhD degree as managers and senior experts in Estonian, European Union and international institutions.
- For more information, please visit the programme page.
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesInternational Relations Public Policy Political Science
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Admission exam (interview) is based on the plan for the doctoral thesis that is agreed with the prospective supervisor
- Copy of a Bachelor’s degree certificate or certificate of a corresponding qualification + Transcript of Records/Academic Transcript (official translationsare requested if the documents are not in English)
- Copy of a Master’s degree certificate or certificate of a corresponding qualification + Transcript of Records
- Copy of the identification page of passport
- Proof of English language Proficiency
- Thesis proposal signed by the prospective supervisor
- Copy of a Sworn Affidavit to Confirmation of Name if the applicant's name stated in his/her passport differs from the name on any of the other required documents
- Applicants applying for adjustments to be made during the admission exams due to his/her physical or psycho-social special need must submit a copy of medical proof of this special need
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 48 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 48 months.
No tuition fees.
Living costs for Tallinn
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.