The Department of Theatre and Performance's research culture is both interdisciplinary and intercultural. It's an ethos reflected across our staff, our programmes and our students. The Drama programme is offered by the Goldsmiths, University of London.As a research student, you may register either for research based on practice with a written element, or for research by written thesis.
If your topic is practice-led you should be concerned to contextualise your practice in relation to other cultural production and critical theory in your contribution to new knowledge.
Empirical research is essential to innovative practice and you will be required to propose how you intend to conduct this during the course of your studies, as well as present and document this as part of your final submission.
At research level, the Department’s aim is to encourage and support innovative thinking and approaches to praxis, both historical and contemporary and within a broad cultural frame of reference, and for this to be conducted within the context of live as well as academic sources.Goldsmiths celebrates interdisciplinarity and supervision may be conducted within the department as well as through inter-departmental co-supervision.
Research methodology seminar:
- All students enrolled on the MPhil/PhD programme are required to attend a weekly seminar in research methodology.
- This seminar is designed to bring together research students with diverse interests in a co-operative and stimulating environment.
- Its objectives include training students for the Spring Review Week, written and oral presentations, preparation for upgrading procedures, and publication of articles.
- 36 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesArt History Theatre & Dance View 24 other PhDs in Theatre & Dance in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Details of your education history, including the dates of all exams/assessments
- The email address of your referee who we can request a reference from, or alternatively an electronic copy of your academic reference
- Contact details of a second referee
- A personal statement – this can either be uploaded as a Word Document or PDF, or completed online
- If available, an electronic copy of your educational transcript
- Details of your research proposal
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.