The Department of English and Comparative Literature consists of some 40 scholars and creative writers whose work is acknowledged and cited internationally.
We particularly encourage cross- and interdisciplinary research in emerging fields of study and creative practice. The English, Comparative Literature or Linguistics programme is offered by the Goldsmiths, University of London.
As well as working with scholars and writers of international standing, you will have the opportunity to play an active role in a vibrant research environment which includes the Richard Hoggart Lectures in Literature and Culture, the annual Goldsmiths Prize for bold and innovative fiction, and specialist seminars and colloqia offered by the Goldsmiths Writers' Centre, the Goldsmiths Literature Seminars (GLITS), the Goldsmiths Linguistics Seminars (GoldLingS), and the e-journal, GLITS-e.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The programme offer a stimulating environment for undertaking postgraduate research in English Literature (including American Literature and literary theory), World Literature, Comparative Literature, Linguistics, and Creative Writing.
- 36 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguages Literature Linguistics View 81 other PhDs in Linguistics in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Details of your education history, including the dates of all exams/assessments
- The email address of your referee who we can request a reference from, or alternatively an electronic copy of your academic reference
- Contact details of a second referee
- A personal statement – this can either be uploaded as a Word Document or PDF, or completed online
- If available, an electronic copy of your educational transcript
- Details of your research proposal
International14760 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14760 GBP per year during 36 months.
National4407 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4407 GBP per year during 36 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.