The department has equal research strengths in media and communications and in cultural studies research, in humanities and in social sciences approaches, and in theory- and practice-driven work. The Media and Communications programme is offered by the Goldsmiths, University of London.
Its work spans a wide range of topics and modes of enquiry – from philosophical studies of technology and human life to sociological investigations of media production and use; from issues of identity, embodiment and becoming to post-feminism, queer theory and critical race studies; from global screen studies and transnational investigations of media and culture to news’ role in contemporary democracy.
Research degrees in this department have two elements:
- the research work that you carry out individually under supervision
- a programme of taught courses, which brings you into contact with other students within Goldsmiths
Supervisors and their students form loose research teams, sometimes on a joint basis with another group. When you apply, please indicate your intended research area and any preference for a particular supervisor.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
The Department’s research falls into five main strands which make up our research groupings:
- Media and Democracy
- Economy, Culture and Communication
- Media Futures
- Gender, Feminism and Contemporary Cultures
- Screen Cultures and Media Arts
- 36 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media Communication Sciences Media Studies & Mass Media View 19 other Masters in Media Studies & Mass Media in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Details of your education history, including the dates of all exams/assessments
- The email address of your referee who we can request a reference from, or alternatively an electronic copy of your academic reference
- Contact details of a second referee
- A personal statement – this can either be uploaded as a Word Document or PDF, or completed online
- If available, an electronic copy of your educational transcript
- Details of your research proposal
International14760 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 14760 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
National4407 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4407 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.