Staff research interests are correspondingly diverse and wide-ranging, and we offer research supervision in any of these areas of specialism.Our MPhil/PhD pathwaysYou can register for any one of the following:
- Written thesis of up to 100,000 words (MPhil: 60,000 words). We offer supervision in many areas of music studies.
- Composition. Examined by portfolio of compositions, together with a 20,000 word commentary (MPhil: 12,000 words).
- Performance. Examined by a full-length recital, together with a related 50,000-word thesis (MPhil: 30,000 words).
- Sonic Arts: Examined by portfolio of practice, and a 40,000-60,000 word commentary (MPhil: 20,000-30,000 words). Portfolios may include recordings, documentation of installation work, or other sonic arts work.
- Practice-Based Research in Music: Examined by portfolio of practice, and a 30,000-60,000 word written element. Portfolios may include recordings of composition; documentation of performance; ethnographic film; web-based and digital humanities projects; documentation of installation; other practice-based research.
Supervision is available in any of the areas of specialism outlined above or covered by staff research interests. The Music programme is offered by the Goldsmiths, University of London.
Research students are strongly encouraged to contribute to the Department’s research culture. You will have regular opportunities to present papers at seminars and conferences.
Composers can have pieces performed or recorded by Goldsmiths ensembles, including the Sinfonia, or by the Ensembles-in-Residence.
Performers are encouraged to take part in departmental concerts, and may audition for concerto appearances.
- Research supervision
You are assigned members of staff qualified to supervise your research throughout your period of registration. Supervision involves regular meetings throughout the period of study, and involves the development of an intensive intellectual relationship between you and your supervisor.
You have access to Goldsmiths’ Graduate School, containing an open-access computer room, a student common room and seminar room for use by postgraduate research students.
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Details of your education history, including the dates of all exams/assessments
- The email address of your referee who we can request a reference from, or alternatively an electronic copy of your academic reference
- Contact details of a second referee
- A personal statement – this can either be uploaded as a Word Document or PDF, or completed online
- If available, an electronic copy of your educational transcript
- Details of your research proposal
International14760 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14760 GBP per year during 36 months.
National4407 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4407 GBP per year during 36 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.