For MPhil and PhD study, you usually register for research by written thesis (although there are also possibilities for research based on a written element and studio practice).
Whatever your topic, you have your first supervisor in Art Psychotherapy and may have your second in another department – Art, Educational Studies, Psychology, or Sociology, for example. The Art Psychotherapy programme is offered by the Goldsmiths, University of London.
You meet your supervisors regularly for discussion and guidance, and present your work to the Art Psychotherapy research student group.
You also attend the Goldsmiths Research Methods Training Course.
Supervision is currently available in the following areas:
- art therapists and their art
- cross-cultural issues
- evidence-based practices
- group work
- history and development of the professions in the UK and internationally
- occupational choice, career development and role change of arts therapists and arts therapy trainees
- clinical work with various client populations
Programme StructureCurrent research topics include:
- key issues in art psychotherapy with the blind
- the creative experience inside and outside an art psychotherapy group
- the image as an assessment tool with children who have an autistic spectrum disorder
- thinking about art with adults who have learning disabilities
- art therapists’ working environments
- 36 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts Psychology Counselling View 57 other PhDs in Visual Arts in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Details of your education history, including the dates of all exams/assessments
- The email address of your referee who we can request a reference from, or alternatively an electronic copy of your academic reference
- Contact details of a second referee
- A personal statement – this can either be uploaded as a Word Document or PDF, or completed online
- If available, an electronic copy of your educational transcript
- Details of your research proposal
International18900 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18900 GBP per year during 36 months.
National4407 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4407 GBP per year during 36 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.