The Department of Sociology at Goldsmiths is active, contemporary and inventive. It is interested in everything from the ‘global’ issues of poverty and injustice to the ‘micro’ issues of cultural identity and the presentation of self in a digital world. The Sociology programme is offered by the Goldsmiths, University of London.
You'll develop advanced research training covering a wide range of qualitative and quantitative sociological methods, and an ability to develop advanced and extended forms of written argument and scholarly practice.
Possible careers cover:
- Social research in applied areas like health or urban regeneration
- Research consultancy
- Practice-orientated work
- Work in the arts and cultural industries
Programme StructureGoldsmiths’ research in sociology covers a range of areas, including:
- art and literature
- the sociology of governance and regulation
- theories of industrial society
- health, illness and psychiatry
- interpersonal relations
- 36 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesSocial Work Area & Cultural Studies Sociology View 65 other PhDs in Sociology in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Details of your education history, including the dates of all exams/assessments
- The email address of your referee who we can request a reference from, or alternatively an electronic copy of your academic reference
- Contact details of a second referee
- A personal statement – this can either be uploaded as a Word Document or PDF, or completed online
- If available, an electronic copy of your educational transcript
- Details of your research proposal
International14760 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14760 GBP per year during 36 months.
National4407 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4407 GBP per year during 36 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.