This programme will allow new researchers to re-think both the conduct of social research and the forms that social research writing takes in the 21st century. The Visual Sociology programme is offered by the Goldsmiths, University of London.
Students registered on this degree will complete all of the research training modules outlined for the MPhil/PhD programme. The PhD will allow you to re-think the gathering, analysis and presentation of research data and consider the future of sociological representation.
Assessment will be via a thesis, visual/aural component (a video or sound feature, or a photographic project), and viva voce.
Research in the Department of Sociology
- Goldsmiths Sociology has a long track record of funded research, with research funded by UK research councils, British Academy, European Union, and charities including Leverhulme, Wellcome and Joseph Rowntree. We are also in research collaboration with industry, local and national government and public bodies.
- 36 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts Film, Photography & Media Sociology View 57 other PhDs in Visual Arts in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Details of your education history, including the dates of all exams/assessments
- The email address of your referee who we can request a reference from, or alternatively an electronic copy of your academic reference
- Contact details of a second referee
- A personal statement – this can either be uploaded as a Word Document or PDF, or completed online
- If available, an electronic copy of your educational transcript
- Details of your research proposal
International14760 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14760 GBP per year during 36 months.
National4407 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4407 GBP per year during 36 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.