While all PhD programs in civil engineering are highly individualized, they all consist of these three basic elements:
- a program of graduate coursework
- qualifying examinations (written and oral)
- defense and approval of a doctoral dissertation
More specifically, a PhD program must consist of a minimum of 72 credit hours beyond the bachelor's degree. A maximum of 36 credit hours from the MS degree can be credited towards the PhD degree.
At least 42 credit hours beyond the MS degree are normally required for the PhD degree, which will include from 12 to 24 credit hours for dissertation and at least 18 hours of coursework.
However, no matter how many credit hours are allocated for the dissertation on a student's transcript, the quality of a dissertation is the crucial consideration. The dissertation must represent a significant contribution to the field of study.
The program of coursework is formulated by the student and his/her advisor in the first or second semester after admission to the Civil Engineering degree from the University at Buffalo SUNY - School of Engineering and Applied Sciences.
Core course requirements, as specified below, must be satisfied either through courses taken within the doctoral program or previously as part of an MS program. Individual program areas may require a minor concentration or specific grouping of courses.
Please note that proposed PhD programs in pure science or mathematics devoid of applied elements are not generally acceptable within CSEE, nor are programs in technology that are deficient in scientific or mathematical background.
- CSEE maintains a basic core requirement for civil engineering MS and PhD degree candidates consisting of one of two courses in mathematics and one of two courses in mechanics, either fluids or solids.
- The courses comprising the core are selected to ensure that advanced degree recipients from the department have knowledge in the basic mechanics and mathematics that are the "fundamental language" of civil engineering.
- The only exception to this rule is when a student can demonstrate that he/she has already taken an equivalent course before coming to UB. In this case the student should take an alternative course, as specified by the Graduate Studies Committee.
- While high performance in all graduate work is important, excellent grades in core courses are particularly significant in the faculty's assessment of a student's potential to pursue a PhD.
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEnvironmental Engineering Civil Engineering & Construction General Engineering & Technology View 12 other PhDs in Environmental Engineering in United States
- GRE & TOEFL Scores
- Statement of Purpose Essay
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Online Recommendation Letters
- Application Fee
International23100 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11550 USD per semester during 60 months.
National23100 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11550 USD per semester during 60 months.
In-State11310 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5655 USD per semester during 60 months.
Living costs for Buffalo
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
In support of the University at Buffalo’s PhD Excellence Initiative, the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences offers competitive, elite fellowship packages designed to attract the best and brightest scholars in the world.
The Presidential Fellowship offers outstanding prospective graduate students an elite fellowship package to the top 10% incoming enrolled doctoral students each academic year. Our competitive packages pay a stipend of up to $43,000 USD per year for up to 4 years and includes summer support. This award also includes a full tuition waiver of $11,310 USD for New York State Residents and $23,100 USD for Non-Residents bringing the total package of support to $54,310-$66,100 dollars per year.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.