The Film and Television programme offered by the University of Bristol has particular strengths in historical research, audience studies, film theory and aesthetics, and offers the opportunity for practice-based research as well as the traditional written dissertation. Where research proposals span various disciplines, a supervisory team can be assembled across departments and faculties to meet the needs of the project.
This programme is particularly well-suited to the development of careers in higher education, and for work on high-level research and creative projects in the fields of film and television.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureResearch groups
- There is a lively postgraduate community in the department which runs a film club and shares research through regular research student coffee mornings and presentations of current postgraduate research.
- The department has a termly programme of research seminars and public talks, and co-leads a regional research group, Screen Research, which organises workshops on topics across film, television and screen media.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media Media Management Media Studies & Mass Media View 25 other PhDs in Media Studies & Mass Media in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A master's qualification, or be working towards a master's qualification, or international equivalent. Applicants without a master's qualification may be considered on an exceptional basis, provided they hold a first-class undergraduate degree (or international equivalent).
- Applicants with a non-traditional background may be considered provided they can demonstrate substantial equivalent and relevant experience that has prepared them to undertake their proposed course of study.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International18900 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18900 GBP per year during 36 months.
National4475 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4475 GBP per year during 36 months.
- UK: part-time£2,238
- Channel Islands/Isle of Man: full-time£9,475
Living costs for Bristol
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.