We have particular expertise in modern literature (the novel, poetry and drama, especially in the classical age, the early 20th century and the post-Wende period), the history and politics of German y and Austria since 1800 (particularly of the political East), German children's literature, and comparative literature. We also benefit from strong links with Augsburg, Graz, Heidelberg and Kiel, as well as research centres in Germany, especially the Deutsches Literaturarchiv in Marbach am Neckar.
We welcome applications from graduates wishing to pursue custom-designed research programmes. Interdisciplinary and cross-language research is particularly encouraged and well supported across the School of Modern Languages and the wider faculty. Our postgraduates are fully integrated in a professionally and personally supportive departmental and school community.
Graduates from this German programme from University of Bristol develop a wide variety of careers, including as academics in higher education.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The social and political history of Austria and the GDR, including post-1945 and 1990 memory studies;
- The relationship of literature and history in the experience of exile;
- Comparative literature and the relationships of literature to music and the visual arts;
- The literature and culture of Germany and Austria from the 18th century to the present day with particular strengths in writing in the German classical age (Goethe, Schiller), modernism and the literature of the two Germanies.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies European Studies Linguistics View 7 other PhDs in European Studies in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A master's qualification, or be working towards a master's qualification, or international equivalent. Applicants without a master's qualification may be considered on an exceptional basis, provided they hold a first-class undergraduate degree (or international equivalent).
- Applicants with a non-traditional background may be considered provided they can demonstrate substantial equivalent and relevant experience that has prepared them to undertake their proposed course of study.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International18900 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18900 GBP per year during 36 months.
National4475 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4475 GBP per year during 36 months.
- UK: part-time£2,238
- Channel Islands/Isle of Man: full-time£9,475
Living costs for Bristol
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.