In musicology, research strengths include not only the Western art music tradition, but screen media, non-Western and popular music. We have particular depth of expertise in the early Middle Ages (especially Spain), and in the 19th and 20th centuries (including the music of France, Britain and Soviet Russia). We also have expertise in Anglophone vernacular traditions including jazz and hip hop; in opera, film, music and the history and philosophy of technology, music and migration, and cultural and reception history more generally.
A large number of graduates from this programme develop careers in higher education or work on high-level research projects in the field of music; some graduates take up careers as composers and musicians.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Music, politics and society
- Music as performance
- Old Hispanic Office Research Project
- Beyond East and West Research Project
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesMusic Music History Liberal Arts View 13 other Masters in Music History in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A master's qualification, or be working towards a master's qualification, or international equivalent. Applicants without a master's qualification may be considered on an exceptional basis provided they hold a first-class undergraduate degree (or international equivalent).
- Applicants with a non-traditional background may be considered provided they can demonstrate substantial equivalent and relevant experience that has prepared them to undertake their proposed course of study.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International18900 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18900 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
National4475 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4475 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
- UK: part-time£2,238
- Channel Islands/Isle of Man: full-time£9,475
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.