Currently there are over 250 postgraduate and post-doctoral researchers, from many different countries, working with more than 60 academic staff on a wide range of research themes. Extensive collaborations with science-based industries and leading international academic centres ensure that research in Bristol remains at the frontier of science.
The School of Chemistry is housed in spacious, modern laboratories, which are well equipped with state-of-the-art facilities. There is a comprehensive graduate programme to ensure you have the opportunity to build a wide range of skills, both in chemistry and other transferable skills.
Many of our PhD graduates are successful in securing post-doctoral positions at universities in the UK and abroad. A PhD in Chemistry is valued in many employment sectors worldwide, including pharmaceutical sciences, polymers, coatings, agrochemicals, instrumentation manufacturers and management consultancy. Your skills will be in high demand from the chemical and allied industries, as well as the public sector.
The Chemistry programme is offered by University of Bristol .
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Areas of research included:
- Catalysis and Synthesis
- Chemical and Synthetic Biology
- Computational Chemistry, Theory and Dynamics
- Environment and Energy
- Functional Molecules and Materials
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Flexible start dates throughout the year (to be agreed with prospective supervisor).
- We welcome applications at any time of the year.
DisciplinesMaterials Science & Engineering Chemistry Natural Sciences View 55 other PhDs in Chemistry in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- An upper second-class MSci/MChem honours degree in chemistry, or a relevant related discipline, or a postgraduate MSc or international equivalent. We may consider applicants with a lower second-class MSci/MChem honours degree or an upper second-class BSc honours degree who can demonstrate good potential for research.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International23900 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23900 GBP per year during 36 months.
National4475 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4475 GBP per year during 36 months.
- UK: part-time£2,238
- Channel Islands/Isle of Man: full-time£9,475
Living costs for Bristol
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.