In broad terms our research work is focused around eight research groups: Asia; Diplomatic Studies; European Politics; International Political Economy; Political Theory; Security Studies; International Relations Theory; and Political Sociology.
Distance learning does present challenges and applicants need to have a high capacity to work independently and in a disciplined fashion to pursue their research goals. However, the supervisory team are there to assist you and will draw up a training plan for each student to ensure you have the skills and knowledge to complete your thesis.
Political Science and International Studies by Distance Learning from University of Birmingham graduates develop transferable skills that are useful in many occupations. These include familiarity with research methods; the ability to manage large and diverse quantities of information; the ability to organise information in a logical and coherent manner; judging and evaluating complex information; and making reasoned arguments, both orally, in tutorials and presentations, and in written work. There are many careers where a political science and international studies degree is useful and past graduates have entered areas including commercial management, finance, administration, politics, and even the armed forces.
In broad terms the research work is focused around eight research groups:
- Diplomatic Studies
- European Politics
- Political Economy
- Political Theory
- Security Studies
- International Relations Theory
- Political Sociology
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesInternational Relations Political Science View 3 other PhDs in International Relations in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Applicants for the distance learning PhD/MPhil must provide evidence of prior research experience and/or training suitable for their intended programme of study. When they apply, they are expected to consult with their supervisor who can assess their skills, background and capacity to undertake independent study at a distance.
- Besides formal qualifications, a key factor determining whether the Department decides to accept a candidate for either degree is the quality of his or her research proposal and its relevance to our own interests. Successful completion of a research thesis demands a high level of self-discipline, motivation and commitment to the subject of research.
International17580 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17580 GBP per year
EU/EEA4407 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4407 GBP per year
- £2,190 PT (Home/EU students)
- £8,790 PT (International)
Scholarships may be available, please contact the Department directly. International students can often gain funding through overseas research scholarships, Commonwealth scholarships or their home government.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.