Doctoral students are expected to design and conduct an independent research project and produce a Thesis (80,000 words). Through their research project, students are expected to evidence an original contribution to knowledge, develop or apply innovative research and advance scholarly knowledge and professional practice in the field of TESOL .
More specifically the TESOL program from University of Nicosia aims to:
- Develop students’ in-depth understanding and critical analysis of current literature and research methodology in the field of TESOL;
- Provide students with a critical awareness of current problems and debates within the field, and enhance their skills in critical evaluation of theoretical and empirical literature relevant to TESOL and their area of specialization;
- Provide students with the research skills and competencies to be able to undertake an original and significant research project that merits publication in the field of TESOL;
- Develop students’ skills in communicating TESOL-related research knowledge to specialist and non-specialist audiences;
- Enable students to make a significant and original contribution to the field of TESOL through the advancement of scholarly knowledge and professional practice
- Enable students to become autonomous and expert researchers in the field of TESOL with an understanding of the quality of research required for potential peer-reviewed publications
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureUpon successful completion of this program, the students should be able to:
- Demonstrate a systematic understanding of basic principles of research design, including an understanding of how to conceptualize TESOL/applied linguistics research, formulate researchable problems, and construct and test hypotheses.
- Demonstrate originality in the application of knowledge, together with a practical understanding of how research and inquiry are used to create and interpret knowledge in their field.
- Make a contribution through original research that extends the frontier of knowledge in TESOL by developing a substantial body of work, some of which merits national or international refereed publication.
- Manage successfully all the stages of a substantial research project, including managing data, and conducting and disseminating research in a way that is consistent with both professional practice and the normal principles of research ethics.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
Application Deadlines for European and Local Students - Please call the Office of Admissions
DisciplinesEducation Language Studies Linguistics View 3 other PhDs in Education in Cyprus
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
The minimum general requirement for admission to the post-graduate degree programme is a Bachelor’s Degree from a recognised university (eg. American, European), or another recognised equivalent qualification).
In addition to the above, applicants must also satisfy the following requirements:
- Accredited Bachelor’s degree in a related discipline*
- Accredited Master’s degree in TESOL, or Applied Linguistics, or English Language/ Linguistics
- Teaching experience: at least one year
- English language proficiency
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International4500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13500 EUR for the full programme during 36 months.
EU/EEA4500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13500 EUR for the full programme during 36 months.
Living costs for Nicosia
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.