Mechanical engineering is one of the broadest of the engineering disciplines. Mechanical engineers are involved in research and development, design, manufacturing, and technical sales of a variety of products.
Degree programs offered at the University at Buffalo SUNY - School of Engineering and Applied Sciences include the Master of Science (MS) and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD). Contact the Department of Mechanical Engineering for specific areas of research.
- Research-focused degree program
- Requires successful completion of 72 graduate credit hours
- Must maintain at least 3.0 GPA throughout program
- Key component is dissertation, features original research, typically 24 credit hours effort
- Major advisor plays important role throughout
- Nearly all PhD students receive a stipend (RA or TA), plus full tuition scholarship (see Financial Support page for details)
- Milestones: Qualifying Exam, Preliminary Exam, Dissertation Defense
- Full-time status: Requires nine credit hours per semester, plus RA or TA
- Program duration: Typically three plus years from BS degree
- Informal courses: Up to twelve credit hours are permitted
The selection of the program of courses and the student's dissertation research are under the supervision of a PhD program committee chaired by the student's advisor.
- At least 48 credit hours of graduate course work
- 12-24 credit hours of dissertation work, for a total of 72 credit hours
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesMaterials Science & Engineering Mechanical Engineering Mechatronics View 7 other PhDs in Mechatronics in United States
- GRE & TOEFL Scores
- Statement of Purpose Essay
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Online Recommendation Letters
- Application Fee
International23100 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11550 USD per semester during 60 months.
National23100 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11550 USD per semester during 60 months.
In-State11310 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5655 USD per semester during 60 months.
Living costs for Buffalo
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
In support of the University at Buffalo’s PhD Excellence Initiative, the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences offers competitive, elite fellowship packages designed to attract the best and brightest scholars in the world.The Presidential Fellowship offers outstanding prospective graduate students an elite fellowship package to the top 10% incoming enrolled doctoral students each academic year. This competitive package pays a stipend of up to $43,000 USD per year for up to 4 years and includes summer support. This award also includes a full tuition waiver of $11,310 USD for New York State Residents and $23,100 USD for Non-Residents bringing the total package of support to $54,310-$66,100 dollars per year.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.