The Philosophy phd program from The New School provides maximum flexibility, enabling graduates to develop the highest level of competence in their chosen field of scholarly specialization.
- PhD candidates must earn 30 credits in addition to the 30 credits taken in the Philosophy MA program, for a total of 60 credits.
- Transfer students who already have an MA in philosophy (or its equivalent) from another institution may be assigned credit for all or part of their previous graduate studies up to a maximum of 30 credits.
- Of the 60 total credits required to earn the PhD in Philosophy, a student must complete 48 credits in philosophy courses, and up to 12 credits in fields other than philosophy.
- Of the 48 philosophy credits, the student must earn at least 15 credits in philosophy seminars.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics View 17 other PhDs in Philosophy & Ethics in United States
- Complete Application
- Submit Your Application Fee
- Submit Required Essays
- Submit Your Résumé or CV
- Submit Two Letters of Recommendation
- Submit Official Transcripts
- Our Mailing Address
- Submit an Academic Writing Sample
- Submit TOEFL, IELTS, PTE, or Duolingo English Test
International67800 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2260 USD per credit during 24 months.
National67800 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2260 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.