The PhD offers qualified scholars the theories and methods necessary to develop sociological study in innovative and imaginative ways, in sustained treatment of a single topic across disciplinary boundaries and/or subcategories of the field.
- PhD candidates at The New School must earn 30 credits in addition to the 30 credits and MA Examination taken in the Sociology MA program, for a total of 60 credits.
- Transfer students who already have an MA in sociology (or its equivalent) from another institution may be assigned credit for all or part of their previous graduate studies up to a maximum of 30 credits.
To earn the PhD in Sociology, a student must complete 30 credits beyond the MA, including:
- One sociological methods course besides Logic of Inquiry
- Four departmental seminars or proseminars
- Electives up to the total of 60 credits, of which no more than 12 credits may be for courses from other NSSR departments or other divisions at The New School that are not cross-listed in sociology
- Admission Requirements: International applicants are required to follow all admission procedures for U.S. citizens and permanent residents. Please pay special attention to the transcript requirements for applicants with foreign credentials.
- Transcripts: Review the admission procedures for U.S. citizens and permanent residents. Please pay special attention to the transcript requirements for applicants with foreign credentials.
- TOEFL, IELTS, and PTE: A TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE score is not required for applicants whose primary language is English or who have earned a four-year degree from a U.S. college/university or from a university where English is the primary language of instruction.
International67800 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2260 USD per credit during 24 months.
National67800 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2260 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.