The doctoral program Genes and Development from University of Göttingen is hosted by the Göttingen Center for Molecular Biosciences (GZMB) and is conducted jointly by the University of Göttingen, the Max Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry, the Max Planck Institute for Experimental Medicine, and the German Primate Center.
The program accepts students from diverse areas of previous education who share enthusiasm for studying cells.
Training is aimed at achieving a comparative understanding of how cell fate and topology are determined, a critical sense of how to apply comprehensive genomic analysis tools, and the ability to set up and test conceptual models for cellular functions.
- Training shall enable the students to integrate knowledge and methods from classical developmental biology, cell biology, molecular biology, biochemistry and infection biology.
- The faculty members are experienced in many of the relevant model organisms, including fungi (Aspergillus, Verticillium), plants (Arabidopsis, tobacco), nematodes (C. elegans), insects (Drosophila, Tribolium) and vertebrates (Xenopus, chicken, mouse).
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
We have no application deadlines and PhD projects in our center can start throughout the year.
DisciplinesBiology Sustainable Development Molecular Sciences View 4 other PhDs in Sustainable Development in Germany
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- our cover sheet (pdf),
- certificates of other relevant examinations (e.g. GRE, if available),
- English proficiency certificates
- statement by (prospective) supervisor incl. preliminary title, starting date of PhD project, prospective thesis committee members (if already known), details on funding (contract/stipend, funding source, duration of funding). If funding is not yet available for the entire duration of PhD or if supervisors plans lab move: include declaration by department that they will take over the supervision and funding.
- short abstract of your PhD thesis half or one A4-page (is only required for the application for the programs Molecular Biology of Cells, Cellular and Molecular Physiology of the Brain and Systems Neuroscience)
- optionally: max. two reference letters,
- optionally: 1 (one) passport photograph.
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 36 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 36 months.
- Tuition for doctoral studies is fully subsidized by the government for international and domestic students.
- The administrative semester fee is approx. 300 EUR
Living costs for Göttingen
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.