You will create a significant piece of original research and, in the process, gain advanced research skills, putting you in a very strong position for progression in your chosen academic or professional field. Our programmes also include an award of a Doctoral Certificate, achieved by completing three READ modules (Researcher Enhancement and Development) each of 20 credits at SCQF level 12.
The Professional Doctorate programme of the Queen Margaret University is a substantial piece of learning and research, reflecting three or more years of endeavour, which has commercial, cultural or social value. It is also a process through which you will acquire advanced research knowledge, skills and expertise, be challenged and transform as a person. The training programme for your doctorate will require significant personal discipline, time and commitment. In return, your sense of achievement at the end will be immense, and successful completion of your doctorate will open up a range of opportunities for career advancement.
Wherever possible, doctoral students are given the opportunity to hone and develop their academic teaching skills within their department, and are supported by staff within their discipline, as well as by staff from the Centre for Academic Practice. Opportunities are also available for students to develop other skills in academia, within research or within industry.
- You would usually complete a doctoral programme, including the READ modules, in three years full-time or six years part-time. On the successful completion of READ, you will be awarded the 60-credit level 12 Doctoral Certificate in addition to any doctoral award for your research. We are the only university in Scotland that provides a formal academic award at this level for the broader learning that goes into doctoral studies.
- Throughout your doctoral programme, you will participate in doctoral education and learning weeks. These focus on developing the knowledge and skills that you require in order to successfully design and progress your doctoral research project and the three READ modules. They also provide a great networking opportunity for you to engage with your fellow doctoral candidates, other research supervisors and the Graduate School team.
- 36 months
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesManagement, Organisation & Leadership View 69 other PhDs in Management, Organisation & Leadership in United Kingdom
- For a PhD route you should have a good UK Honours degree (2:1 or above) OR an equivalent degree from another country OR equivalent professional experience.
- An outline research proposal (approximately 1,000 words), which we assess to be feasible and appropriate for the level of study, and which is in a field where we can offer supervision expertise.
- You should have 120 SCQF Level 11 credits, OR the equivalent from another country, OR equivalent professional experience that can be used to gain Recognition of Prior Learning credit as an associate student to allow full access to the programme.
- International: Where your Honours degree has not been studied in English, you will be required to provide evidence of English language competence at no less than IELTS 6.5 and no individual component score below 6.0.
- Interview: There will be an interview process for all applicants, which may be conducted in person, by Skype, or by phone.
International13500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13500 GBP per year during 36 months.
National4880 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4880 GBP per year during 36 months.
- SCOT/UK/EU: 2,440 GBP (part-time)
- International: 6,750 GBP (part-time)
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.