The Benefits of Doing a PhD in Astronomy at Saint Mary’s University
- Our faculty are associated with state-of-the-art international observatories and space-based telescopes.
- We have the Institute for Computational Astrophysics (ICA), with access to the ACEnet high performance computing facility.
- Our nuclear astrophysics faculty are associated with the TRIUMF particle accelerator.
- You can participate in hosting weekly visiting colloquium speakers.
- You’ll have opportunities to gain experience in astronomy education and public outreach through the campus-based Burke-Gaffney Observatory.
- Enjoy the collegial environment of a medium-sized department.
- The PhD Astronomy Saint Mary's University program at consists of eight lecture-based courses (credit may be given for relevant graduate courses already taken), a graduate seminar series, and a research dissertation.
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- All students entering the Astronomy graduate program require a B.Sc. or equivalent, in Astronomy, Mathematics, or Physics. Students with a B.Sc. or equivalent intending to pursue a Ph.D. enter the Astronomy graduate program at the M.Sc. level. Students with an M.Sc. may enter the Astronomy graduate program at the Ph.D. level, and may be given course transfer credits for equivalent Saint Mary’s University graduate level astronomy courses taken elsewhere.
International14607 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14607 CAD per year during 48 months.
National7879 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7879 CAD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Halifax
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.