At Graz University of Technology (TU Graz) you can obtain a doctorate in natural sciences (Doktor der Naturwissenschaften) or a doctorate in technical sciences (Doktor der technischen Wissenschaften). The doctoral programmes are organised in Doctoral Schools. You will do your research within one of the doctoral schools depending on your subject and your supervisor.
As a Doctoral School of Civil Engineering student you are part of the community of your doctoral school. You will discuss your research project regularly with teachers and other students. This ensures that you get perfect supervision and support in your work. At the same time you will expand your knowledge of relevant subjects in courses and lectures and in contacts with academic and industry experts.
Your doctoral programme is based on the curriculum for the Doctoral Programme in Technical Sciences (technische Wissenschaften) or Natural Sciences (Naturwissenschaften). Additionally, the statutes of your Doctoral School set out required courses in the subject, the procedures for preparing and submitting your thesis, handling of publications and other subject-specific issues.Focus Areas
- Fundamentals of engineering, such as mechanics, construction physics, measurement technology, construction material sciences, structural analysis
- Structural engineering
- Hydraulic engineering and water resources management
- Construction management and economics
- Independent research in a specialized area of Civil Engineering
- Find solutions for scientific and technological problems
- Publish in peer-reviewed journals
- Prepare and defend research results
- Give presentations at public conferences or workshops specific to the research field
- Build a subject-specific network
- Exchange information on the progress and results of your dissertation research with your supervisor well as with other students
Courses (curricular workload)
- Deepen your knowledge in a subject area of the field Civil Engineering
- Gain knowledge of and experience with scientific methods
- Successfully complete interdisciplinary courses offered at the TU Graz
- Attend courses offered at foreign universities or other educational institutions
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesCivil Engineering & Construction Mathematics General Engineering & Technology View 5 other PhDs in General Engineering & Technology in Austria
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
For admission to a doctoral programme at TU Graz, you must fulfil one of the following requirements according to the Curriculum:
- completion of a subject-related diploma or master’s programme in engineering sciences or natural sciences at a university or
- completion of another degree programme at a recognised Austrian or foreign post-secondary educational institution that is equivalent to the aforementioned degree programmes or
- completion of a degree programme at a recognised Austrian or foreign post-secondary educational institution in combination with supplementary curricular requirements or
- completion of a subject-related bachelor’s programme.
International1452 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 726 EUR per semester during 36 months.
EU/EEA726 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 363 EUR per semester during 36 months.
Living costs for Graz
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.