You receive comprehensive and specialized technical and scientific training to enhance your communication skills. In this way, you are adequately prepared to lead research groups at academic institutions and in industry.
- Molecular Biology
An environment of stimulating scientific discussions, scientific and engineering training of the highest standard, internationally respected research projects; these things await you as a doctoral student at Graz University of Technology (TU Graz).
At TU Graz you can obtain a doctorate in natural sciences (Doktor der Naturwissenschaften) or a doctorate in technical sciences (Doktor der technischen Wissenschaften). The doctoral programmes are organised in Doctoral Schools. You will do your research within one of the doctoral schools depending on your subject and your supervisor.
As a Doctoral School of Molecular Biomedical Sciences and Biotechnology student you are part of the community of your doctoral school. You will discuss your research project regularly with teachers and other students. This ensures that you get perfect supervision and support in your work. At the same time you will expand your knowledge of relevant subjects in courses and lectures and in contacts with academic and industry experts.
Your doctoral programme is based on the curriculum for the Doctoral Programme in Technical Sciences (technische Wissenschaften) or Natural Sciences (Naturwissenschaften). Additionally, the statutes of your Doctoral School set out required courses in the subject, the procedures for preparing and submitting your thesis, handling of publications and other subject-specific issues.
- You conduct both basic and applied independent research with a high academic standard.
- You work on interdisciplinary and application-oriented problems.
- You discover and describe solutions for technical and scientific problems.
- You publish research results in internationally renowned peer-reviewed journals and present these at international conferences.
Courses (curricular workload)
- You learn about the molecular basis of biological processes and their application in industrial processes.
- You take part in science days, lecture series and specialised events held at the Doctoral School.
- You meet regularly with your dissertation supervisor as well as with other students in order to discuss the progress and preliminary results of your dissertation work.
- You are, therefore, prepared to taken on leading positions in academic institutions and industry.
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
For admission to a doctoral programme at TU Graz, you must fulfil one of the following requirements according to the Curriculum:
- completion of a subject-related diploma or master’s programme in engineering sciences or natural sciences at a university or
- completion of another degree programme at a recognised Austrian or foreign post-secondary educational institution that is equivalent to the aforementioned degree programmes or
- completion of a degree programme at a recognised Austrian or foreign post-secondary educational institution in combination with supplementary curricular requirements or
- completion of a subject-related bachelor’s programme.
International1452 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 726 EUR per semester during 36 months.
EU/EEA726 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 363 EUR per semester during 36 months.
Living costs for Graz
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.