It is a unique Centre for Doctoral Training run by specialist academics and working alongside more than 120 graphene researchers at The University of Manchester, in partnership with Lancaster University.
Funded by EPSRC, the four-year course will enable you to develop knowledge and skills necessary to drive research and innovation in the field of nanomaterials in your future career, while contributing to the pioneering research at Manchester and Lancaster during your PhD.
About the program
PhD students enrolled on the Graphene NowNano programme at The University of Manchester receive initial state-of-the-art training in fundamentals of graphene and 2D materials, their applications, and key techniques.
The 6-month training is followed by a three and a half year research project that students select from up to 40 available projects in 30+ top-rated research groups across nine disciplines/university departments (Experimental and Theoretical Physics, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Computer Science, Materials Science, Electrical & Electronic Engineering, Pharmacy, Biomaterials, Medicine).
Academic research within the CDT will be complemented by direct engagement with a network of industrial and academic partners.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Research in the science of graphene/2D materials and their wide-ranging applications.
- 6-month training in fundamentals of 2D materials and core research techniques, including 2 mini-projects in a choice of labs.
- 3 ½ year research project in state-of-the-art interdisciplinary nanoscience laboratories.
- Enterprise training.
- Industrial and/or international experience via secondments to our industrial and academic partners.
- Choice of experimental, theoretical and computational projects. Topics include:
- Fundamental science of graphene and other two-dimensional materials
- Experimental and theoretical physics of nanodevices based on 2D materials;
- 2D heterostructures: materials on demand
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesMicrobiology Molecular Sciences View 26 other PhDs in Microbiology in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
Please apply online. As part of your application you will need to provide the following documents:
- Degree Certificates and Transcripts (if you have not completed your degree please include an interim transcript)
- Details of two academic referees
- A statement of purpose describing why you wish to be admitted to the Graphene NOWNANO CDT programme (500 words max)
- English Language certificate i.e. IELTS (only required if English is not your first language).
In addition; if you are an overseas student we will also require:
- Proof of funding if you are self-funded or government sponsored
Living costs for Manchester
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.