Interested individuals are encouraged to make an informal approach to the Department to discuss their proposal and establish an initial fit between their interests and the Department’s research priorities and expertise. Formally, an applicant wishing to undertake a research degree should submit a research proposal in writing of 3,000–4,000 words and consult with the Department on the general suitability of the research topic, and on the availability of an appropriate supervisor.
The research proposal should provide the following information:
- Introduction to the central research topic that the student proposes to investigate
- Reference to the key debates and issues relevant to the research
- An indication the body of literature that the research will analyse; the main data that will be collected and/or analysed and the methods that will be used
- An outline of the potential significance of the proposed research for the field under investigation
Graduates of the Applied Social Studies programme from Maynooth University including doctoral graduates of the Department of Applied Social Studies have pursued a range of careers in community and youth work, public administration, NGOs, academic institutions and research/advisory bodies / careers in social policy consulting and teaching.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Professional Skills - Thesis Completion and Career Development
- Academic Writing Module
- Conference Organisation
- Work-based Placement
- Research Placement
- Engaging With the Community: research, Practice and Reflection.
- Outreach & Communication
- Advanced Communication Skills: Conference Presentation
- Winter School/summer School/short Course
- Advanced Communication Skills (Publication)
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesSocial Work Sociology Statistics View 4 other PhDs in Sociology in Ireland
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Minimum 2.1 in undergraduate degree. Entry is also subject to Departmental approval of application and the proposed Departments ability to provide supervision.
- Applicants must have a recognised primary degree which is considered equivalent to Irish university primary degree level.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International14000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14000 EUR per year during 48 months.
EU/EEA6500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6500 EUR per year during 48 months.
Part-time EU: 4,330 Euro
Living costs for Maynooth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.