The four year programme of study in Economics or Finance at Maynooth University includes, in the first and possibly subsequent years, reading courses, taught courses, general skills seminars and independent research, while the second, third and the fourth years of the programme are dedicated primarily to general skills development and independent research. To remain at good progress the PhD candidate must write and present an original piece of research in each year of the programme, and this research must meet the approval of his/her committee.
Students who do not perform at the level required by the PhD programme during their studies may be eligible for an MLitt degree with a satisfactory MLitt thesis.
- Lecturer and researcher in 3rd level institutions
- Financial & consulting institutions such as commercial banks, stockbrokers
- State institutions such as the Central Bank, Irish Financial Services Regulatory Authority, NAMA
- Research institutions such as ESRI, Central Statistics Office Ireland
- International institutions such as the World Bank and the IMF
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Professional Certificate In Postgraduate Teaching & Learning : Tutors & Demonstrators
- Economics Of Inequality
- Policy Evaluation Using Structural Models
- Topics In Econometrics
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Applicants must have a minimum of 2.1 overall in MA/MSc degree in Economics or Finance and a minimum of B- (or equivalent) in core modules in the acquired degree -depending on the degree, core modules may include Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Econometrics and/or Finance.
- If the applicant’s MA/MSc is from a university other than Maynooth University, the applicant desiring to pursue a PhD in Economics may be required to take a qualifying exam in Microeconomic Theory, Macroeconomic Theory and Econometrics, while the applicant pursuing a PhD in Finance may be required to take a qualifying exam in Microeconomic Theory, Finance and Econometrics.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International14000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14000 EUR per year during 48 months.
EU/EEA6500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6500 EUR per year during 48 months.
Part time EU/EEA 4330 EUR/Year
Living costs for Maynooth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.