Operational Research projects at Essex, University of, often have an experimental aspect which is underpinned by forefront mathematical and computational research in these areas.
- Our data scientists carefully consider how not to lie, and how not to get lied to with data. Interpreting data correctly is especially important because much of our data science research is applied directly or indirectly to social policies, including health, care and education.
- We do practical research with financial data (for example, assessing the risk of collapse of the UK’s banking system) as well as theoretical research in financial instruments such as insurance policies or asset portfolios.
- We also research how physical processes develop in time and space. Applications of this range from modelling epilepsy to modelling electronic cables.
- Our optimisation experts work out how to do the same job with less resource, or how to do more with the same resource.
- Our pure maths group are currently working on two new funded projects entitled ‘Machine learning for recognising tangled 3D objects’ and ‘Searching for gems in the landscape of cyclically presented groups’.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- A research degree gives you the chance to investigate an area or topic in real depth, and develop transferable research skills.
- During your time in the Department you have opportunities to attend conferences, publish papers, and give talks at departmental research seminars.
- You may also attend some university modules, and will meet with your supervisor typically on a weekly basis.
- 48 months
- 84 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
There is no application deadline and we aim to respond to applications within four weeks.
DisciplinesMathematics Applied Mathematics View 49 other Masters in Mathematics in United Kingdom
- You will need a good honours degree and a Masters degree in a relevant subject. A well-developed research proposal is also essential.
- You may be required to attend an interview/Skype interview for acceptance, and acceptance is subject to research expertise in the department.
International16230 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16230 GBP per year during 48 months.
National5360 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5360 GBP per year during 48 months.
- Home/UK fee
- International fee
Living costs for Colchester
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.