The The University of Manchester has a strong presence in a number of Manchester-based centres for multidisciplinary research: the Photon Science Institute; the Manchester Centre for Non-Linear Dynamics; the Dalton Nuclear Institute; and the Mesoscience and Nanotechnology Centre. In addition, the Jodrell Bank Observatory in Cheshire is a part of the School.
Strong research activity exists in a broad range of physics topics funded by the Research Councils including EPSRC, STFC, BBSRC, the EU and industry. The Astronomy and Astrophysics program is offered by
All the research groups offer well-equipped laboratories and computing facilities and are involved in a wide range of collaborative projects with industry and other academic departments in the UK and overseas. For more information please visit our research page.
The Faculty of Science and Engineering is offering a number of scholarships to both UK and oversees students.
The PhD programme is designed for postgraduate students who seek to:
- Pursue a career in research and/or teaching at university level both in the UK and other countries.
- Pursue a career in industry or commerce.
- Further their professional knowledge and standing, by studying and carrying out research in physics and astronomy at the frontiers of human knowledge.
- 36 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesPhysics Astronomy & Space Sciences View 64 other PhDs in Physics in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Academic entry qualification overview
- A minimum of a 2i class UK Masters honours degree or international equivalent is required. Or a first degree with an additional Masters degree or international equivalent.
- English language
International22500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22500 GBP per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Manchester
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.