We have a lively community of around 15 PhD students. We are committed to providing a first-class educational and research environment for our postgraduate research students, along with excellent facilities.
We welcome both full-time and part-timePhilosophy PhD students.
The University of Manchester research interests focus on certain key areas of analytic philosophy, including metaphysics, the Philosophy of mind, aesthetics, epistemology, and the history of analytic philosophy.
In the international rankings for various sub-disciplines in the 2014 Philosophical Gourmet Report, we were in the top 15 for History of Analytic Philosophy, the top 18 for both Philosophy of Art and Philosophy of Action, and the top 37 for Metaphysics.
The School of Social Sciences is now based in a brand new purpose-built building which allows 24/7 access.
There is shared workspace available for research students within the Discipline Area and also a dedicated area in the atrium with computer terminals.
Teaching and learning
- Students meet regularly (on average, 1 hr every 2 weeks) with their supervisor. Each student has 2 supervisors.
- Once a year, students have a supervisory board meeting which involves discussion of some of their work, submitted for the supervisory board, by their supervisors and a third member of staff.
- All students attend a non-assessed PhD Seminar during term time, at which they are required to present their research to their peers and staff.
- 36 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesHistory Philosophy & Ethics View 88 other PhDs in History in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- UK Master degree (or overseas equivalent) with a coursework/examination average of 60% or more AND a dissertation mark of 60% or more in a relevant subject with no mark below 50%
- Tier 4 Student Visa - International applicants who will require a visa to study in the UK, can obtain up-to-date information on the latest student visa advice and guidelines.
- You will need to submit a 1500-word research proposal with your application. Please follow the guidelines carefully.
- English language
International19500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19500 GBP per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Manchester
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.