As a result our Department welcomes applications for PhDs utilising this data for British or comparative projects.Additional programme information
The School of Social Sciences is now based in a brand new purpose-built building which allows 24/7 access.
There is shared workspace available for research students within the Discipline Area and also a dedicated area in the atrium with computer terminals
The University has its own dedicated Careers Service that you would have full access to as a student and for two years after you graduate. At Manchester you will have access to a number of opportunities to help support you with your goals for the future.
The University of Manchester Politics PhD programme aims to enable you to become more aware of your developing researcher identity, equipping you with the skills you need during your PhD and prepare you to integrate into the researcher community.
We offer training sessions to build your skills and confidence in writing and presenting, with specific sessions on viva preparation, thesis submission and preparing for your Review Panel.
Officially accredited and/or recognized by the Privy Council, The University of Manchester is a very large (uniRank enrollment range: 35,000-39,999 students) coeducational higher education institution. The University of Manchester offers courses and programs leading to officially recognized higher education degrees such as bachelor degrees, master degrees, doctorate degrees in several areas of study.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- PhD Research Design
- PhD Seminars
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesPublic Policy Political Science View 39 other Masters in Public Policy in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- MINIMUM UK Master degree (or overseas equivalent) with a coursework/examination average of 60% or more AND a dissertation mark of 60% or more in a relevant subject with no mark below 50%. PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS A MINIMUM REQUIREMENT AND IN SOME CASES THE SUPERVISORY TEAM MAY REQUEST HIGHER MARKS OR DEGREE CLASSIFICATION DEPENDING ON INDIVIDUAL ASSESSMENT.
- Having an expert supervisor is extremely important for success in Research degree programmes and part of the application process is that we seek suitable supervision. We cannot provide supervision across all areas and we are therefore sometimes unable to offer admission to excellent applicants.
International19500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 19500 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
Research programme funding - 2013/2014 entry
The following funding is available for PhD study;
- School PhD Teaching Studentships
- NWDTC (ESRC) Studentships
- Economics Discipline Area Studentships
- President's Doctoral Scholarships
- Overseas Research Scholar Awards(ORSA)
- Alumni Fund for PhD Award (Social Cohesion, Regenerative Medicine, Science & Society, Cancer 2015, World Poverty & Carbon Reduction)
- School Teaching Assistant (TA) Scheme
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.