The Accounting and Finance programme from Cardiff University has an established and growing reputation for conducting high quality theoretical and empirical research in accounting and finance.
We enable students to:
- Gain advanced knowledge of the theoretical and empirical research methods in accounting and finance
- Acquire in-depth training to conduct accounting and finance research at the highest international quality
- Develop critical and analytical skills, which are not only useful for further academic work, but are also attractive to consultancy firms and financial institutions.
- Synthesise and critically evaluate published research work in their chosen pathways
- Apply advanced research methods similar to those used in contemporary published work to specified research settings
- Use information technology and relevant software packages to collect, manage and analyse quantitative and qualitative data
- Interact positively with academic colleagues, acknowledging challenges in or limitations to their work and thinking
- Demonstrate awareness of the importance of oral and written communication skills
- Develop the ability to work independently and organise and negotiate research collaborations
- Effective planning of given research tasks, within groups or individually.
Research specialisms include:
- Capital structure
- Dividend policy
- Derivatives and cash markets
- Corporate governance
- Managerial compensation
- Asset pricing
- Market efficiency
- Behavioural Finance
- Financial intermediation
- Socially responsible investments
- Financial risk measurement and management
- Public sector accounting
- Management accounting
- Accounting change in China
- 36 months
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesFinance Management, Organisation & Leadership Accounting View 69 other PhDs in Management, Organisation & Leadership in United Kingdom
- A specialist Master-level degree in Business, Management, Social Sciences or related subjects, from an internationally renowned University of comparable or higher standing than Cardiff Business School.
- A minimum of 60% grades for a UK master’s degree, or the equivalent grading for international degrees.
- Evidence of previous research training, including attending research-focussed taught modules and submitting a research-based Master dissertation.
- As part of your application process you will have to submit a research proposal demonstrating the intellectual ability to identify viable research questions and a potential to develop a valuable contribution to knowledge in your elected area.
Tuition fees status is determined during the processing of applications, so we are unable to confirm this in advance or advise on fees status decisions.
Living costs for Cardiff
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.