The ideal student would therefore have a strong quantitative background in one or more of these fields.
- Although some of our students have undergraduate knowledge of meteorology or physical oceanography, such background is not necessary to succeed in the program.
- McGill offers the only program in Canada that includes both atmospheric and oceanic sciences.
- Students in the Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences program from McGill University benefit from a large professor-to-student ratio and access to state-of-the-art computing, remote sensing, and atmospheric chemistry laboratory equipment.
- Proposal Seminar
- Ph.D. Comprehensive (General)
- Seminar: Physical Meteorology
- Atmospheric, Oceanic and Climate Dynamics
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Apply before
DisciplinesClimate Studies & Meteorology Marine Studies Environmental Sciences
- Applicants to the Ph.D. program would normally have a strong background in meteorology, physical oceanography, or related disciplines such as mathematics, physics, chemistry, and engineering.
- Many students will have an M.Sc. degree in one of these fields, although this is not a formal requirement.
- All Ph.D. students are required to take at least two courses in atmospheric and oceanic sciences.
- Students entering without a master's degree or without a sufficient background in atmospheric and oceanic sciences are admitted at the Ph.D. 1 level and are required to take an additional five courses in atmospheric and oceanic science, these usually being completed in the first two semesters.
International16122 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16122 CAD per year during 36 months.
National2624 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2624 CAD per year during 36 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.