The Media and Arts Technology programme of the Queen Mary University of London builds on the outstanding success of Queen Mary’s Media and Arts Technology (MAT) Centre for Doctoral Training. In contrast to other PhD programmes in the UK the MAT PhD programme provides an integrated programme of taught modules and PhD research which accommodates students with existing Masters qualifications from other disciplines.
The taught modules specifically train students in the technologies and techniques used in inter-disciplinary research in Technologies for the Media and Arts.
The PhD in Media and Arts Technology programme has three main components:
- Six advanced taught modules ranging from advanced technical skills to interaction design;
- An advanced research project;
- PhD research examined by thesis and viva.
The programme is structured as follows:
- Year 1: 90 credits of taught modules, and 90 credits of research project
- Years 2, 3, 4, 5: PhD research programme following the progression points of EECS PhD policies and procedures
Programme StructureThe main research groups contributing to the programme are:
- Centre for Digital Music;
- Centre for Intelligent Sensing;
- Cognitive Science;
- Multimedia and Vision;
- Advanced Robotics
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media General Engineering & Technology View 77 other PhDs in General Engineering & Technology in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- This is a highly interdisciplinary programme and we welcome applications from a range of backgrounds. What we require is some clear evidence of both technical and creative abilities.
- We invite new applications from outstanding individuals with any Arts, Engineering or Science background and welcome applications from people with a strong background the visual arts, design, architecture, New Media, User Experience, human-computer interaction, and from people with a strong backgrounds in social science e.g. psychology, sociology, or a similar discipline. You will be able to develop additional skills through the selection of specialist options.
- You should be able to demonstrate academic achievement at the level of a first class honours degree or high level pass at Masters and excellent critical and analytic skills.
- Before applying you should find and contact potential PhD supervisors to agree a PhD topic and supervisor.
International19250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19250 GBP per year during 48 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.