Candidates for graduate work in the English program of the Case Western Reserve University should present an undergraduate major in English or a minimum of 18 semester hours of English (or its equivalent) beyond the freshman level. In some cases, students will be required to make up deficiencies without graduate credit. The department requires all candidates for admission to submit their scores on the aptitude sections of the Graduate Record Examination. Candidates are also required to submit a writing sample, consisting of at least 15 pages of academic writing.
A maximum of six semester hours of transfer credit will be accepted from another institution and applied toward the MA, provided they were earned in graduate-level courses, with the approval of the department and the dean of graduate studies. (PhD transfer credit is normally not granted.) Such courses must have been taken within five years of matriculation at Case Western Reserve University and passed with grades of B or better.
New and continuing graduate students are normally supported with graduate assistantships providing tuition remission and a living stipend. Assistantships are awarded by the Dean on the recommendation of the department. All graduate assistants are required to take university- and department-level teacher training courses in their first semester of work at the university.
Teaching is viewed as an essential part of the education of graduate students aspiring to academic posts, and is required of all students working under assistantships. The department provides opportunities for graduate assistants to gain teaching experience in a variety of courses and in the Writing Resource Center.
- Professional Communication, Theory and Practice
- Literary and Critical Theory
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Creative Writing Literature View 46 other PhDs in Language Studies in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Project concentration in Writing History and Theory or a course work concentration in Creative Writing
- Candidates are also required to submit a writing sample, consisting of at least 15 pages of academic writing
- Previous teaching experience are preferred
- Statement of Objectives
- Academic Transcripts
- Documents in languages other than English must be accompanied by certified translations in English
- 3 Letters of Recommendation
- Application Fee: A non refundable application fee of $50 is required for each application submitted
- Test Scores
- Applicants must have a good academic record
- Applicants will be expected to meet all of the undergraduate prerequisites for the proposed field of graduate study
International47928 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1997 USD per credit during 36 months.
National47928 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1997 USD per credit during 36 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.