Core areas are the evolution of social behavior, group behavior and group coordination, developmental psychology, as well as the cognitive and physiological foundations of behavior.
The Behavior and Cognition program is run by the Faculty of Biology and Psychology of the University of Göttingen and the German Primate Center. Interdisciplinary collaboration and exchange are an important element of this study program.
FeaturesDoctoral students are affiliated with one (or sometimes two) of the research groups of this program. Each project is supervised by a three-member thesis committee. A regular research colloquium provides a platform for progress reports and discussions. Participation in scientific meetings and workshops is encouraged.
- Acquiring knowledge of and reflecting on research
- Technical and methodological basics
- Scientific teaching
- Scientific communication
- Key competencies
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- degree certificates. If the certificates are not issued in English or German, a translation (into English or German) is required.
- a certificate of proficiency in English
- certificates of additional qualifications relevant for the program. This includes publications, practical training, teaching and work experiences
- a CV, written in English. It shall also cover the applicant's previous scientific career
- a declaration whether another PhD dissertation will be or has been completed successfully or unsuccessfully
- a letter confirming supervison by a member of BeCog
- a confirmation stating that no commercial facilitators were involved in the application process; furthermore, a confirmation is required that no benefits conflicting with the dissertation protocol were received and that there are no grounds that may lead to a withdrawal of a doctoral degree
- a short project proposal
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 36 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Göttingen
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.