About the Program
The Epidemiology and Biostatistics program of the Case Western Reserve University draws on the core disciplines of epidemiology and biostatistics, broadly defined, but may also include a wide range of other academic areas, ranging from human genetics to health policy. As part of their training students will develop the knowledge, skills, and competencies necessary to be leading researchers in areas that provide improved understanding of how to advance public health.
Through challenging coursework and research opportunities, both independent and collaborative, students will develop a thorough understanding of the multiple determinants of population health outcomes, the individual and structural factors that may lead to disparities in those outcomes, and the way in which specific policies and interventions can influence the nature and impacts of population health determinants.
A key aspect of the program is to train students to define important, unanswered questions and design appropriate strategies to solve our pressing health problems, locally, nationally and globally. In addition, the program in Epidemiology and Biostatistics is committed to developing the skills necessary for lifelong learning as we recognize this as being key to continued success.
The program is designed to train students to address critical research questions to advance human and population health utilizing a wide variety of research tools and trans-disciplinary collaborations. This is distinct from historical training in a single discipline (e.g., statistics or genetics) or expertise in a small number of technical skills.
The educational mission of the PhD Program in Epidemiology & Biostatistics is to train students using an integrated approach that draws broadly from the population and quantitative health sciences. These include global, population, public, and community health, biostatistics, epidemiology, health behavior and prevention, genomic epidemiology, bioinformatics, and computational biology. This training provides the foundation for trainees to play integral roles in successfully solving our most pressing health problems.
- Population Health
- Communicating in Population Health Science Research
- Design and Measurement in Population Health Sciences
- Integrated Thinking in Population and Quantitative Health Sciences
- Epidemiology: Introduction to Theory and Methods
- On Being a Professional Scientist: The Responsible Conduct of Research
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesStatistics Bioinformatics Genetics View 36 other PhDs in Statistics in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Online Application.
- Transcripts: Include school-issued unofficial transcripts, scanned and uploaded for all colleges or universities attended.
- Resume/CV: Upload your current resume/CV outlining all work experience and volunteer roles with timeframes. Make sure to highlight any completed research positions or opportunities experienced.
- Three letters of recommendation are required.
- Statement of Purpose: In one to two pages, address your interest in biostatistics and how you hope to utilize this program in your career path.
- Pay the $50 application fee upon submission of your application.
- Test Scores (Optional): Self-report and upload your test-taker copy of the GRE, MAT, MCAT, LSAT, DACT, or GMAT score report.
- For international applicants: if you are not a citizen of an English speaking country or if your previous college or university was not taught in English please submit an English proficiency exam (IELTS, TOFEL, or PTE).
International67440 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 33720 USD per semester during 36 months.
National67440 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 33720 USD per semester during 36 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.