Hence, the doctoral curriculum of the BGSS International Doctoral Program at Humboldt University Berlin comprises high-level courses on theory, methods, supporting courses and doctoral workshops. Annual milestones ensure continuous progress and mutual feedback.
Key facts:The first and second year of membership are each limited to one year and the prolongation depends on the fulfillment of the curriculum. At the end of every summer semester, the membership committee decides on the extension, basing on the completion of the requirements.
- The positive evaluation of the Dissertation Prospectus
- The positive evaluation of two Thesis Chapters
- The last milestone of our doctoral program is the third Thesis Chapter (equivalent for publication-based thesis, see curriculum below). The supervisor will give feedback by filling in the Progress Report 3rd year.
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- M.A. degree (120 CP, state accreditation) or equivalent (Magister, Diploma) in Social Sciences (Sociology, Political Science, and neighboring disciplines such as economics)
- English language proficiency at C1-level or equivalent
- documentation of in-depth knowledge of quantitative or qualitative techniques of social research
- a confirmed provisional first year supervisor from the BGSS faculty
- secured funding (e.g. doctoral scholarships or research positions at BGSS partner institutions or the HU Department of Social Sciences) has to be proven until the beginning of the doctoral program
- Mission Statement (500 words maximum)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Certificate of English Language Ability (TOEFL, IELTS, C-level etc.)
- Exposé of your doctoral project (5-10 pages)
- Copies of degrees and certificates (official transcripts, diplomas, including translations into German or English, if necessary)
Living costs for Berlin
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.