The major professor and at least 2 other members must be approved to direct doctoral research. The student’s advisory committee assists in the planning of course work and may require specific courses in addition to those required by the Animal Science graduate program. The graduate advisory committee also aids in formulating an appropriate research project and administers other degree requirements, including the comprehensive exam and dissertation defense.
Students are expected to choose their graduate advisory committee in their first semester, present proposed coursework and research plan to the committee before the beginning of the second semester, and present a written research project proposal to the committee no later than the fourth semester of matriculation.
In exceptional cases where an individual is admitted to PhD program having a BS and/or DVM only but no thesis-based MS degree, individual will be required to complete a MS degree in the continuum of PhD program efforts.
Individual would work with their graduate advisor to submit a manuscript containing their initial original research efforts to a scientific peer-reviewed journal. Submitted manuscript would then be formatted into a thesis for presentation of an oral defense. Upon completion of MS degree requirements (24 graduate credit hours + 6 credit hours of ANSC 500), the individual would complete PhD requirements as outlined in departmental graduate student handbook. The Animal Science program is offered by the University of Tennessee Knoxville.
The program requires the student to write a dissertation based on original research and complete at least 24 graduate credit hours of coursework at the 500- and 600-level beyond the master’s degree, plus 24 credit hours of ANSC 600.
Coursework must include the following:
- A minimum of 8 credit hours in related courses outside of animal science
- At least 1 credit hour of Teaching/Extension experiential learning.
- At least 3 credit hours in statistics chosen from courses approved for use in the intercollegiate graduate statistics program
- 3 credit hours of graduate-level multi-systems physiology coursework if not taken for the Master of Science degree
- ANSC 696 each spring term for first- and second-year students.
- The remainder of coursework will be selected by the student in consultation with the major professor and committee, reflecting the student’s area of emphasis and professional objectives.
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesVeterinary Medicine Animal Sciences View 8 other PhDs in Animal Sciences in United States
- The completed online Graduate Application for Admission
- A non-refundable application fee
- One unofficial transcript from all colleges and universities attended submitted on-line at the time of application to the Graduate School
- The submission of official transcripts and degree certificates
- Departmental application
- Reference letters or rating forms
International31798 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31798 USD per year during 36 months.
National13380 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13380 USD per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Knoxville
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.