- At least two additional approved graduate courses in the life sciences or chemistry, or physics, or other physical science to be determined upon consultation with the mentor and the dissertation committee. No survey courses will be accepted.
- At least 6 credit hours of topics offered in BCMB 615 or its equivalent.
- Participation in BCMB 601 and BCMB 603 during the entire period of residence. Participation in at least one journal club chosen from among BCMB 605, BCMB 606, BCMB 607, BCMB 608 for 6 semesters.
- Passing a comprehensive examination, taken before the end of the third year of study.
- A dissertation reporting the results of original and significant research carried out during the term of candidacy.
- Passing a final oral examination which will be concerned primarily with the student’s dissertation.
The additional requirements for such a degree are:
- Preparation of a research manuscript suitable for submission for publication in a major scientific journal and oral defense of that manuscript before an examining committee of three faculty members appointed by the head of the department, at least two of whom shall be members of the department.
- Publication of at least one full-length paper in a major scientific journal as first author.
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesChemistry Biology Biochemistry View 181 other PhDs in Biology in United States
- The completed online Graduate Application for Admission
- A non-refundable application fee
- One unofficial transcript from all colleges and universities attended submitted on-line at the time of application to the Graduate School
- The submission of official transcripts and degree certificates
- Departmental application
- Reference letters or rating forms
International31798 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31798 USD per year during 36 months.
National13380 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13380 USD per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Knoxville
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.