Specific departmental requirements for the PhD include:
- A minimum of 72 credit hours beyond the bachelor’s degree, exclusive of credit for the MS thesis. Of this number, a minimum of 24 credit hours in 600 Doctoral Research and Dissertation will be required. It is expected that the research work will be in journal publication form prior to approval of the dissertation.
- A minimum of 18 credit hours of graduate courses in civil engineering or environmental engineering, exclusive of thesis or dissertation credit, at least 6 credit hours of which must be 600-level courses.
- At the discretion of the student’s dissertation committee and depending on the student’s background, more than 36 credit hours of courses may be required.
- A maximum of 24 course credits from the master’s degree may be used to satisfy the course requirements for the PhD.
- One foreign language if the student’s faculty committee feels that a reading knowledge of a foreign language is crucial to the student’s research efforts.
- Upon completion of at least one-half of all coursework, each student must pass a comprehensive examination. After completion of the dissertation, prior to graduation, each student must pass a dissertation defense examination administered by a faculty committee.
- Full-time graduate students may be required to register for the appropriate seminar and attend. Part time students are encouraged to register and attend the seminar. Seminar hours may not be applied towards degree requirements.
- Additional coursework in civil engineering, environmental engineering, or related scientific and engineering fields, amounting to a minimum of 18 credit hours, subject to approval by the student’s faculty committee. These related fields will normally include such disciplines as mechanics, chemistry, mathematics, microbiology, physics, and other engineering fields. A minimum of 6 credit hours of mathematics will be required beyond the civil engineering undergraduate requirements.
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesCivil Engineering & Construction Materials Science & Engineering General Engineering & Technology View 23 other PhDs in Civil Engineering & Construction in United States
- The completed online Graduate Application for Admission
- A non-refundable application fee
- One unofficial transcript from all colleges and universities attended submitted on-line at the time of application to the Graduate School
- The submission of official transcripts and degree certificates
- Departmental application
- Reference letters or rating forms
International31798 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31798 USD per year during 48 months.
National13380 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13380 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Knoxville
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.