The student’s committee may require additional written sections. The student must demonstrate a mastery of the dissertation area, ability to think analytically and creatively, skill in using academic resources, and ability to complete the dissertation satisfactorily.
The oral part of the comprehensive examination consists primarily of a professional presentation of a proposal for dissertation work and its defense. The committee may cover additional topics in the oral part. The Electrical Engineering program is offered by the University of Tennessee Knoxville.
Energy Science and Engineering Concentration
This concentration is offered in collaboration with the Center for Interdisciplinary Research and Graduate Education (CIRE). The CIRE is a joint effort between the Tickle College of Engineering, other UT colleges, and the Oak Ridge National Laboratory.
The students who wish to pursue this concentration will normally have completed 6 Core credit hours, 3 credit hours of Knowledge Breadth, and 6 credit hours of Knowledge Specialization coursework (minimum 15 credit hours) specified under the Energy Science and Engineering major, (PhD) program.
- Satisfactory performance on a comprehensive examination administered by the student's committee. The exam results are reported to the graduate committee for approval, and the exam is filed in the department.
- The comprehensive exam is given when the student is ready to apply for admission to candidacy. The comprehensive examination consists of both written and oral parts. The written part includes a complete review of the literature in the student's dissertation topic, a review of the major tools to be used in the dissertation work, and proposed research.
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesElectrical Engineering Mechanical Engineering General Engineering & Technology View 28 other PhDs in Electrical Engineering in United States
- The completed online Graduate Application for Admission
- A non-refundable application fee
- One unofficial transcript from all colleges and universities attended submitted on-line at the time of application to the Graduate School
- The submission of official transcripts and degree certificates
- Departmental application
- Reference letters or rating forms
International31798 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31798 USD per year during 36 months.
National13380 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13380 USD per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Knoxville
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.