- Completion of a master’s degree in the field, or a closely related field, or passing a special qualifying examination is required for admission. The Food Science program is offered by the University of Tennessee Knoxville.
- A dissertation is required for the Doctor of Philosophy degree. Each student must develop a detailed written plan for the dissertation research and submit it to his/her committee by the end of the second semester in the program
- A minimum of 72 credit hours beyond the bachelor’s degree, excluding credit for the master’s thesis, is required. Of this, 24 credit hours must be FDSC 600 - Doctoral Research and Dissertation.
- At least 24 credit hours of course work numbered above 500, exclusive of doctoral research and dissertation, are required. At least 6 of the 24 credit hours must be courses numbered above 600.
- A minimum of 6 credit hours of courses for graduate credit must be taken outside the Department of Food Science.
- All students must complete FDSC 601 (2 credit hours) and are expected to attend FDSC 601 during their PhD program. One credit hour of PLSC 525 or ANSC 525 must be taken before admission to candidacy.
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesPublic Health Health Sciences Food Sciences View 18 other PhDs in Food Sciences in United States
- The completed online Graduate Application for Admission
- A non-refundable application fee
- One unofficial transcript from all colleges and universities attended submitted on-line at the time of application to the Graduate School
- The submission of official transcripts and degree certificates
- Departmental application
- Reference letters or rating forms
International31798 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31798 USD per year during 36 months.
National13380 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13380 USD per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Knoxville
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.