The program of study requires a minimum of 72 graduate credit hours beyond the bachelor’s degree, exclusive of credit for the master’s thesis. This includes a minimum of 36 graduate credit hours of course work beyond the bachelor’s degree and 24-36 credit hours of doctoral research and dissertation work. The Industrial Engineering program is offered by the University of Tennessee Knoxville.
For a master’s program completed at another institution or in another field, the requirement may exceed the 36 credit hours of course work (other than research and dissertation) dependent on the previous program of study.
The student’s major professor, with the concurrence of the dissertation committee, will prepare a program plan outlining what courses will be taken. The student’s dissertation committee should include at least two ISE tenure-track or tenured faculty members and at least one member out of the ISE department.
Admission to the PhD program requires an undergraduate degree and academic background that meets the admission criteria for the master’s program in industrial engineering or a master’s degree in industrial engineering (or a closely related field), and previous academic performance that clearly demonstrates the capacity to do original research and technical investigative work with potential for a successful scholarly career.
All applicants are required to submit Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores. A student may apply for admission to candidacy after passing the comprehensive examination and successfully defending the dissertation proposal.
- The student needs to satisfactorily pass a comprehensive examination administered by the student’s dissertation committee. The exam results are reported to the graduate director and filed in the department. The comprehensive exam is given when the student is ready to apply for admission to candidacy.
- The comprehensive examination consists of both written and oral parts. The student must demonstrate a mastery of the dissertation area, ability to think analytically and creatively, skill in using academic resources, and ability to complete the dissertation satisfactorily.
- A minimum of 6 months must separate the comprehensive examination and the dissertation defense. The student needs a successful public defense of the dissertation to reserve the degree.
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesIndustrial & Systems Engineering Materials Science & Engineering General Engineering & Technology View 19 other PhDs in Industrial & Systems Engineering in United States
- The completed online Graduate Application for Admission
- A non-refundable application fee
- One unofficial transcript from all colleges and universities attended submitted on-line at the time of application to the Graduate School
- The submission of official transcripts and degree certificates
- Departmental application
- Reference letters or rating forms
International31798 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31798 USD per year during 36 months.
National13380 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13380 USD per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Knoxville
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.