Student Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the program are expected to:
- Analyze, test, refine and expand the theoretical basis of nursing.
- From multiple modes of inquiry, select the most appropriate to conduct research that generates knowledge and advances nursing as a discipline.
- Provide leadership as nurse scientists in transforming health and healthcare.
- Collaborate with members of other disciplines in theory development, health-related research, and other scholarly activities.
- Maintain professional standards, ethical principles and scientific integrity in scholarly activities.
- Communicate the outcomes and implications of scholarly activities to professional and general audiences through multiple modes of dissemination.
The program offers part-time as well as fulltime study options. The PhD program in nursing can be completed in an accelerated option of four consecutive semesters of course work (15 months), followed by the dissertation. Part-time and BSN-to-PhD options are also available.
The program is delivered by a mix of onsite and distance education modalities. Students spend two intensive weeks in residence each term, while participating in distance learning the remainder of the time. The doctoral residence requirement is met by two consecutive terms of full-time enrollment.
Optional certificate programs in nursing education and health policy are available. The certificate in health policy is offered jointly with the Department of Public Health. The Nursing program is offered by the University of Tennessee Knoxville.
- Philosophy and Knowledge Development for Nursing Science
- Nursing Inquiry and Research Design
- Middle-Range Theoretical Formulations for Nursing Science Development
- Nursing Research Seminar
- Qualitative Nursing Research
- Advanced Quantitative Nursing Research
- Research Practicum
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesHuman Medicine Nursing Health Sciences View 90 other PhDs in Human Medicine in United States
- The completed online Graduate Application for Admission
- A non-refundable application fee
- One unofficial transcript from all colleges and universities attended submitted on-line at the time of application to the Graduate School
- The submission of official transcripts and degree certificates
- Departmental application
- Reference letters or rating forms
International31798 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31798 USD per year during 36 months.
National13380 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13380 USD per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Knoxville
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.