The Engineering programme of The American University in Cairo emphasizes the application of research methods and procedures to advanced areas of importance in the sciences and technology. The program builds on the premise that advancing the applied sciences and technology must be based on fundamental comprehension of the various disciplines, while continually being responsive to the needs of new technologies, and the interdisciplinary nature of the modern scientific enterprise. This program will be administered by a committee which has a representation of faculty from various graduate programs in the School of Sciences and Engineering.
This program offers a Ph.D. degree Engineering with specializations in:
- Mechanical Engineering,
- Construction Engineering,
- Electronics and Communications Engineering,Robotics,
- Control and Smart Systems,
- or Environmental Engineering.
The mission of the Ph.D. program in Applied Sciences and Engineering is to provide in-depth training to students in the natural sciences, modern engineering, and computer science and in the conduct of original research leading to a doctoral dissertation.The primary goal of the program is to provide students with an opportunity to contribute to the advancement of knowledge in the field of applied sciences and engineering. The program aims at providing students with the opportunity to develop their professional knowledge and expertise to a high calibre and to qualify for leadership positions in teaching, in research, in administration and management and in policy analysis and program development. The program caters to demands of industry and research institutes and places a strong emphasis on original thinking, professional behavior and ethical conduct. The objectives of the program are for students to acquire:
- A broad analytic understanding of advanced experimental, theoretical and computational methods in the applied sciences and engineering
- Substantive knowledge of some field or area of practice (e.g., electronics engineering, environmental engineering, etc.).
- Competence to conduct independent, empirical research that extends the knowledge base of the field of interest.
- Ability to generate new ideas, convince others that their ideas are worth pursuing, do the necessary research to demonstrate that their ideas are viable, and communicate the results of their research in the public domain.
- Advanced Artificial Intelligence
- Neural Networks and Genetic Algorithms
- Knowledge Engineering
- Advanced Data Mining
- Advanced Solid-State Devices
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEnvironmental Engineering Civil Engineering & Construction Mechanical Engineering
- M.Sc. in an Engineering discipline.
- Demonstrated proficiency in English language as determined by AUC graduate admissions
- Obtain an acceptable score in the GRE
- An online application for graduate studies
- Online payment of the application fee
- The selection of up to two doctoral programs for which the application will be processed
- Statement of purpose
- Research interests and objectives
- The abstract of the completed master’s thesis
- An updated resume
- The detailed final official transcript of the master’s degree showing courses and grades, with proof of degree completion
- The detailed final official transcript of the bachelor degree showing courses and grades per semester, with proof of degree completion
- Two online letters of recommendation
- Minimum competency in the use of computers
- Copy of the valid national ID card – Egyptian applicants
- Copy of the information pages of your passport – International applicants
- One recent passport size photograph
International26460 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 735 USD per credit during 24 months.
National20844 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 579 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for Cairo
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.