The department emphasizes research, since most opportunities for graduates are in research and development.
Current research strengths of the Department of Chemical and Biochemical Engineering at The University of Iowa are in the areas of global and regional atmospheric modeling, biomaterials and medical engineering, cellular engineering, photopolymerization, biocatalysis, and biofuels.
- Chemical and biochemical engineers work in a wide range of industries, including petroleum and specialty chemical production, polymer and plastic production, food processing, energy, microelectronics production, pharmaceutical production, biochemical processing, and environmental compliance.
- Potential jobs include production, process development, plant design and construction, and fundamental research.
- Transport Phenomena
- Computational Fluid and Thermal Engineering
- Chemical Thermodynamics
- Intermediate Thermodynamics
- Polymer Chemistry
- Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesChemical Engineering Biotechnology View 27 other PhDs in Chemical Engineering in United States
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Completed application form.
- Unofficial transcript(s). If admitted, official transcripts will be required before enrollment. For international students, all academic records should bear the original stamp or seal of the institution and the signature of a school official. Documents not in English must be accompanied by a complete, literal, English translation, certified by the issuing institution.
- Official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test scores (verbal and quantitative) from Educational Testing Services (the University's institutional code is 6681) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
- Statement of purpose.
- Three letters of recommendation.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores for applicants whose native language is not English.
Living costs for Iowa City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.