We offer a phd program in Film Studies at The University of Iowa. Semester hours are earned through coursework, and eventually work focused on the completion of a dissertation. Students must earn a minimum g.p.a. of 3.25.
- The program's coursework is broadly concentrated in film history and film theory, with specific courses offered on a wide range of topics.
- With the regular consultation and guidance of a faculty advisor and committee, students formulate and pursue a plan of study during their first year in the program, prepare and conduct a written and oral comprehensive examination typically in their second or third year, write and present a dissertation prospectus to a carefully selected committee, and complete a dissertation in an area of advanced, original research that is defended orally in a meeting with the student’s committee prior to final deposit.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Success in Graduate Studies
- Advanced Film Theory
- Film Studies Seminar
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media View 4 other PhDs in Film, Photography & Media in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- A faculty committee chaired by the head of film studies evaluates applications to the Ph.D. program.
- Application materials should include undergraduate and/or graduate transcripts, a personal statement, a writing sample, three letters of recommendation, test scores, and samples of creative work when relevant.
- Previous experience in the area of film studies is desirable but not required. Applicants usually enter the program with a B.A. in film studies, an M.A. in film studies from the University of Iowa, or an M.A. in an unrelated field.
Living costs for Iowa City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.