The Doctor of Philosophy program in Informatics from The University of Iowa requires a minimum of 72 s.h. of graduate credit. It is offered in four subprograms: bioinformatics and computational biology, geoinformatics, health informatics, and information science.
- The 72 s.h. required for the Ph.D. includes foundations of informatics coursework and at least 9 s.h. in disciplinary applications of informatics. Other course requirements are outlined in the curriculum specific to each subprogram.
- Students select an advisor from their subprogram's affiliated faculty members. In consultation with their advisors, students prepare a study plan, which is reviewed by their mentors and curricular advisory committees at least once a year.
- Ph.D. students must pass a comprehensive examination at or near completion of their coursework requirements. The exam may be written, oral, or both, depending on the structure of the student's subprogram or the decision of the student's committee.
- A student who does not already hold an M.S. in informatics from the University of Iowa and who has passed the Ph.D. comprehensive examination may be granted an M.S. degree in informatics without taking the final master's degree exam in the health informatics, geoinformatics, or information science subprogram, upon recommendation of the Informatics Program.
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesInformatics & Information Sciences Health Informatics Bioinformatics View 23 other PhDs in Informatics & Information Sciences in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- You must first submit the online application to the Graduate College and pay the $60 application fee by credit card ($100 for international applicants).
- Once you have submitted your application, you will receive an email instructing you on how to upload your supporting documents and submit letters of recommendation. A few programs require materials be sent directly to them. However, almost all supplemental material can and should be uploaded from your Admissions Profile in MyUI, our online service center for applicants and students. You can only access this AFTER you have submitted your application.
International30414 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 30414 USD per year
National30414 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 30414 USD per year
In-State11467 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11467 USD per year
Living costs for Iowa City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.